Saturday, September 02, 2006

Penshoppe Denimlab Rockfest

I see a long post ahead...

Penshoppe celebrated its 20th anniversary last September 1 with a big event - the Penshoppe Denimlab Rockfest, a concert/fashion show held at the Big Dome. First on the band line-up was Kamikazee, followed by Parokya ni Edgar. After having solo performances from the two bands, they pumped up the crowd with a duet version of Parokya's Ordertaker. Other local rock bands at the concert were Hale, Pupil, Up Dharma Down, Protein Shake, Kala, Mayonnaise, Dicta License, Callalily, Juana, Pedicab, Sugarfree, Sandwich, Imago, Mojofly, 6 Cyclemind, Spongecola, and Itchyworms. Bamboo stayed on stage the longest time, singing 3 songs plus the big Hallelujah finale.

The band members played their tunes clad in Penshoppe apparel. And take note, to create a unique look for each musician, the clothes were especially designed for them. Vocalists of some bands even paraded down the catwalk while singing, showing off their Penshoppe outfits.

Idle time in between band performances is negligible, which I think is due to the stage's design. A pull-out stage is under the upper stage, and the band next in line set their equipment up in the vacant stage while a band performs on the other stage... get it? But this design is also the very reason why a couple of vocalists fell off the stage. One was Ney of 6 Cyclemind who fell off while walking backwards. Apparently, he did not see the stairs going down that led to the backstage. The other was Bamboo, who pulled himself up the ledge of the upper stage, but upon releasing his grip, instead of landing on solid ground, he also fell down the stairs to the backstage (the very same place where Ney fell). After the fall, both of them regained their composure, and continued to sing (Ney was later taken to a hospital, but fans need not worry - he's alright now).

Heart Evangelista was not as lucky as Ney or Bamboo, as she slipped while modeling during the finale. Trying to pull a Miriam Quiambao get-up-with-your-head-high, with a big smile on her face, she raised both her hands like a ballerina and tried to stand - and again slipped. I think she would have cried onstage if Echo had not held her hand and helped her up - they continued down the catwalk smiling. After the show, Heart was seen crying while headed to the dressing room backstage. I guess the angel wings she was sporting during the fashion show didn't help her at all.

That was the concert. I didn't get to see all the bands perform though, as I was "working" earlier at the gazebo. It's a place where bands register and get their all access ID's and food stubs. "Working" because all I had to do was sit there with a smile pasted on my face, give out food stubs, put ID laces on IDs, write names on IDs, and do whatever what Danes tells me to do, which, in my opinion, is not work at all. I actually enjoyed "working" and stuffing myself up with the free food and free drinks. Dinner was fettucine and spaghetti with meatballs and a slice of pizza (yum yum) from Pizza Hut Bistro. And in one night, I have never drank so much Pepsi in my life - 4 cans of Pepsi.

We were among the last ones to leave Araneta at around 1:30 am. Danes and I took a cab home, he spent the rest of the night (morning) at our house.

Summary - great concert, absolutely delicious food, meeting of new people, and of course, plus total performer Bamboo - definitely a night to remember. :D

Special thanks to Danes, I never would have experienced all that without him. :)

No comments: