Monday, September 28, 2009

Ondoy 1

I came home 6am-ish from my NA shift work last Saturday and immediately went to sleep as I'm wont to do, thinking I'd wake up to a weekend of Rohan, Dissidia, and shoe shopping among other things.

Some time later, I heard my kuya and my dad talking. Apparently my younger brother wanted to be picked up at the LRT Santolan station because of the heavy rain (he has Saturday classes). Minutes later, I heard them talking again, my dad saying he and my mom had to turn the car around and go back home because the street leading to the gate of the village was already flooded knee-deep high. I looked at my cellphone and the time read 10:29am. I went back to sleep since I wasn't due to wake up until 1pm (I try to have at least 7 hours of sleep hehe).

The next time I woke up, my dad was gently nudging me and saying, "Marie gising na, baha na sa 1st floor natin." I sat up, looked at my cellphone for the time, only to find out that my phone is dead. I looked at our 2nd floor sala and saw the drum set, the piano stool, the side tables, and tons of other stuff from the 1st floor. I tried to turn the lights on hoping for electricity since I needed to charge my phone - there was no electricity. I went downstairs to see how high the water was - ankle-deep high. I went back upstairs to see how the outside looked like because I knew that our house's 1st floor was built higher than ground level. The car parked outside is already submerged, the water is already up to the car's headlights.

I borrowed my younger brother's phone to send a message to Argel and also to check the time - 2pm. I then thought, "How nice of them to let me get 8 hours of sleep even if the house is slowly getting flooded. :p" After eating breakfast, I joined in on the transferring of things from the first floor to the second floor. By sunset, most of the stuff were piled either on the 2nd floor or the rooftop. Among the things that were left on the 1st floor were the refrigerator (food taken out of course), the piano, and the sala set. By this time, the water was already at the hip level.

We cooked and ate dinner at the rooftop. There was no electricity, no landline, no batteries on some of our cellphones. Kuya had a charged cellphone but getting a signal was difficult. There was still water from the faucet that night. By 10pm, everyone fell asleep listening to the battery-operated radio, and probably from the weariness of the day's work. I was wide awake through out the night because of my screwed body clock from NA shifting. Before going to bed (that means just lying down and not sleeping), I checked the first floor. The refrigerator and the sala set were floating, the piano nowhere in sight. The water has risen to waist level.

So I crawled to bed and tried to sleep but couldn't. I kept thinking of people, if they're alright, if they are also flooded. Early in the night I was worried about Argel because I knew he didn't go home to Pampanga and I was thinking he was alone in the boarding house and what if their boarding house gets flooded too? But after listening to the radio, I learned that there was no flood at KNL so I worried about other people. Hehe :p

Seriously, I did only what I could do at that time - pray for other people who were affected by the typhoon. I was able to sleep when the sky was getting a bit lighter. I'm guessing maybe that was 5:30 in the morning?

Hmm... Sunday Ondoy kwento later. It' time for my "lunch" date. :D

No comments: