Sunday, September 24, 2006

Last 24 Seconds

Kuya and I were buying dinner at the mall when I saw the last seconds of the first of the best-of-three UAAP final games between UST and Ateneo being shown through a projector. And wow... what I watched was like something from Slam Dunk.

The clock said 24 seconds was left in the game. Ateneo was in the lead with 71 points, UST had 70. UST had the ball but was stolen by ADMU. The ball was again turned over to UST after ADMU had a back court violation. UST tried to hold on to the ball for the remaining time of the game. With only 4 seconds left, UST attempted a shot and the crowd went wild - both at the Araneta and at the mall (there were many people watching at the mall too) - UST scored. It was 72-71 in favor of UST, and the game clock was at 1 second. A time out was called by ADMU. UST fans were cheering. Maybe they were thinking that UST had already won the game. I mean, come on... 1 second left? What can the ADMU team do? The game continued and ADMU had the ball. During that 1 second, the ADMU thrower issued a very long pass to a teammate near the ring who was able to shoot it. ADMU won 73-72.
It was just simply amazing.

No comments: