Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Twilight Saga

I first heard of the Twilight Saga just a month ago, which I found weird considering the first installment of the series was released way back in 2005. Anyway, I immediately looked up for book reviews, and there were mixed reactions regarding the series. I decided it's not really a must read (like HP was), so I opted not to buy them... I thought of just reading them if somebody happens to have copies available for lending.

And then, sometime when I chatted online with Rose, she mentioned reading Twilight, and how she couldn't stop reading them despite her thesis work. She voluntarily sent me eBooks of the series. I wasn't thrilled by the idea of reading off a computer screen though, so I didn't plan on actually reading them.

But a week ago, my brothers and I watched HSM3, and one of the trailers shown was the film adaptation for Twilight. To my surprise, some people in the theater screamed and squealed (like whenever Legolas appears in LotR). I was quite intrigued with the reaction, but not enough to make me go to a bookstore and buy the books. I was curious though.

So I remembered what Rose sent, and finally read the first book. While reading it, I was agreeing with the reviews, and found the story quite interesting but... shallow? Haha. Yeah I know the target market is young-adult/teen, but hey, Harry Potter isn't shallow. Anyway, despite this shallowness thing, I kept reading the books, and before I knew it, 4 days have passed and I finished the entire saga already, and now eagerly waiting for the movie.

Interesting to note though that despite seeing Robert Pattinson as Edward from the movie trailer, I couldn't imagine him as Edward when I was reading the book. Weird.

No comments: